The Department of Labor works very hard to protect the integrity of our agency and programs. We encourage you to help us by reporting allegations of fraud in any of the following areas. You can remain anonymous.
Misclassification of Workers
Misclassification occurs if an employer treats people as independent contractors when they are employees. Some employers use this tactic to avoid compliance with:
- Unemployment insurance (UI) taxes
- Workers' Compensation insurance
Call toll-free (1-866) 435-1499 to report misclassification of workers. The Department of Labor works together with other state agencies and the Attorney General to stop this practice. See Misclassification of Workers for more information.
Unemployment Insurance (UI)
UI Benefits Fraud
UI benefits fraud is committed by people who:
- Claim UI benefits that they know they are not entitled to
- Help others claim benefits they are not entitled to
Call toll-free (1-888) 598-2077 to report UI benefits fraud. See UI Benefits Fraud for more information.
Employer UI Tax Fraud
Employers commit UI tax fraud when they:
- Pay "off the books" or "under the table" wages
- Misclassify workers as independent contractors to avoid paying UI tax
- Shift workers between employer payrolls to use a lower UI tax rate
Call toll-free (1-866) 435-1499 to report employer UI tax fraud. See Employer UI Tax Fraud for more information.
Misconduct by State Employee or Person Doing Business with NYS
The NYS Office of the Inspector General investigates alleged corruption, fraud, criminal activity, conflicts of interest or abuse by a State employee or a person doing business with the State.
- The giving or receiving of bribes or unlawful gifts
- Theft or misuse of State property or funds
- Conflicts of interest
Call toll-free 1-800-DO-RIGHT (1-800-367-4448) to report misconduct. See NYS Office of the Inspector General for more information.
Thanks for the feedback! It will help us improve your experience.